Friday, May 4, 2007

My First Day of Summer

Some of you are jealous.

The same some of you think I'm an overachiever. Or more so OCD.

I think I'm crazy. I get bored and anxious so quickly. Hence, this blog.

On my first day of summer, you would expect me to: sleep in, not shower, catch up on marathons such as Work Out or Shear Genius, maybe take a nap outside in the sun.

I have done none of these things.

Instead, I got up at 7 a.m., did Pilates, emailed, reorganized my closet (washed and stored winter clothes, made a donate pile, & made a consignment pile), started our regular laundry, cleaned stained coffee mugs (put 2 T. of baking soda in each mug, boil water, pour water in mugs and let stand for an hour, wash by hand & stains will be gone), called our CPA about tax write-offs, called State Farm about life insurance, cleaned outside furniture, grocery shopped, and searched for favorite poets who might have web sites/blogs (only found Matthea Harvey's web site, but wanted to find web sites/blogs for Eula Biss, Daisy Fried, Alice Fulton, Barbara Maloutas, Amy Newman, Harriette Mullen, Laura Mullen, Kate Northrop, Claudia Rankine, Carol Snow, and Dean Young--I'd be happy to create a kick ass web site for any of these fine poets, just let me know!).

See, I'm crazy, but you loved my cleaning tips! Admit it...

Seriously, how can a writer be bored? I'm bored because I'm procrastinating. Because I don't feel like writing. And then I feel guilty because every writer should want to write, right? So then I start working and cleaning. (You can totally see now why Mrs. Meyers is under my favorite things. And I like the whole uniform smell thing. Lavendar is the best scent. I'm OCD. I know, I know.) Then my problem is I work too quickly and multi-task too well that by 3 p.m. I was bored again. (Believe me, I HATE 8-5 jobs. I could do all the work is 2 hours. Teaching is way better for me.)

I pray summer isn't like this...bored, OCD, bored, OCD again. I'll drive myself and hubby mad!

I know if I start reading, I'll start feeling like writing. I'm just nervous. It's been awhile. And I'm interested in writing non-fiction, which I haven't done before, so I'm even more anxious, which makes me OCD. What's my problem?

[I'm writing this more for me than you. Is that OK?]

I'll make more to-do lists, I think. I have to make my summer home improvement list and my summer reading list. Of course, I'm going to refer to the Common Reading Experience blog for fiction and non-fiction suggestions as well as recommendations from friends and mentors.

I'm grateful I'm creating an online class this summer. That will keep me busy. A whole lot of busy. And I have trips planned...

My problem is I have no idea how to relax.

I inherited that from my father.

Thank you, Pops.

4 comments:

Gary L. McDowell said...

Hey buddy!

Being "tagged" means that you've been selected to fill out the survey or list that the person filled out when they tagged you.... For instance, I'm guessing you're referring to being tagged for this "13 poets someone should read who has never read contemporary poetry" thingy that's going around... right?

All that means is that the person that "tagged" you wants you to fill out the list/survey and post it on your blog.

It's a cool way to get other people's opinions on these list thingys.

I'm all over the place here, but does that help?

Good to see you today!

Stephanie said...

The wedding is June 2! Less than a month away. I'm going crazy trying to get everything planned. You feel like taking a road trip? We'd be happy to have you and your hubby there.

----

I like the tip about the coffee mugs, I'm going to have to keep that in mind. I just got an espresso/cappuccino machine, so I intend to stain a lot of mugs.

----

I miss seeing you. I feel like I'm in a little vaccuum out here. I work non-stop. I teach four classes (12 credit hours), work 15+ hours a week in the writing center, teach a three hour high school writing workshop once a week and of course I'm grading and planning the wedding. So, it's a surprise that I haven't lost my mind yet. But we're looking for Full-Time work so we won't have to bust our butts so much to make so little.

Anyway, I didn't visit your blog to complain. :p I just wanted to say that I miss you and we should indeed get together some time soon.

-----

P.S. I'm linking you now.

Stephanie said...

Summer reading list musts: Two books by Whitney Otto: "How to Make an American Quilt" and "A Collection of Beauties at the Height of Their Popularity" and if you get really really bored, you can always wash your change--no, I'm not joking, Martha Stewart does.

Oh, and the book "When Madeline Was Young" by Jane Hamilton, and "A Brief History of the Dead" by Kevin Brockmeier

And I'll stop now. (o:

kwpershey said...

Amanda! I'm so glad you're here and you have a blog. My mugs will be cleaner and my heart will be happier. :-)

Ben is in Kent this weekend- for the Jawbone. Maybe next year we can swing a big reunion!