Monday, July 23, 2007

My Beach Reads: The Book Reviews

My Year of Meats by Ruth L. Ozeki is a perfect mate for Fast Food Nation. I wish I would have read them together.

Though, I wasn't quite impressed with the language, the quality of the writing, or the sometimes unbelievable character reactions, especially near the end, this was a very readable novel with a very important message.

I'd like to thank Amy Dillion for suggesting I read it! She's a former student of mine who wrote a really interesting researched argumentative paper about the benefits of being a vegetarian that now I find myself convinced by more and more.

Though, I can't give up beef quite yet, I am only buying organic beef or Laura's beef as of right now.

4 out of 5 Hello Kittys.


~


Carly recommended I read Nicole Krauss' The History of Love after I declared my love for Foer's Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Because, get this, Krauss and Foer are married! I LOVE IT! Married writers! Kind of reminds me of someone I know...

I LOVED the language and narrative pacing of this book. It was gorgeous and very emotional. I did get kind of confused with a character name switch at one point, though. I think I have it figured out, but I still feel confused. I think that might be because this isn't really a beach-while-on-family-vaca read and I was kinda rushing my reading b/c I wanted to read as many or more books than my father-in-law, which I failed to do once I realized this book deserved more attention than I was giving it.

Regardless, I LOVED it, and plan on reading it again and again.

4 1/2 out of 5 Hello Kittys!

1 comment:

Carly said...

YAY! I'm alo Veg. now---though I eat certain swimmy fish so send me that paper :)