Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Yo, Yo, Yo! Check These Out (or Not)...

Field Notes from a Catastrophe: Man, Nature, and Climate Change by Elizabeth Kolbert is awesome book that made me really think the history and evidence of Global Warming. I just wanted it to be more personable. It's almost too full of facts and journalistic writing that sometimes I couldn't help to get bored or tired. Yes, Global Warming exists. Now I want to see a book that makes Global Warming more "human." In other words, I want to see a book that meshes the scientific evidence of GW to human life. Anybody know of one?

3 out of 5 environmentally aware Hello Kittys.






~



Honestly, I was more intrigued by the all the research Kate Greenstreet did for case sensitive than the actual writing itself. The narrative, at times, for me, was too disjointed--to the point that it became experimental without any real intention other than that. I comprehend that this book is working with associative connections and extended thinking and it's all about ideas and how narratives overlap (--I get it!--), but I believe writers need to work these experimentations into the writing and that the writing should bring out these things. Ultimately, the writing should come first and be the best aspect of a book, in my humble opinion, not the research. And in my opinion, sadly, that wasn't the case with this book. I reallyreallyreally wanted to LOVE this book because I think the idea of it is utterly amazing. It just wasn't for me.


2 out of 5 disappointed Hello Kittys. 5 out of 5 satisfied-to-have-thought-that-much Hello Kittys, though.



No comments: